Saturday, January 9, 2010

Zombie Babies and Other Disturbing Nonsense

Since I just did a whole nonsense post on Caliban's Revenge, I thought I'd keep the momentum going and start this week's post with a bit of Zombie Nonsense.

Of course, this adorable image is from I Can Has Cheezeburger, a site to which people submit cute and funny cat pictures and videos and then occasionally clever people caption them. But I always amused by the thought of a Zombie Baby,* especially when thinking about the ridiculously over-the-top zombie baby in Peter Jacksons Braindead/Dead Alive in which our hapless hero Lionel takes the spawn of a zombie nurse and a zombie priest (inexplicably named "Selwyn") to the park in a barbed-wire-covered pram.

I also thought you might think it was a baby picture of your old Uncle Prospero. Actually this is a baby picture of Uncle P.

Anyway, here for your viewing enjoyment, is that hilarious, dark and absolutely Pythonesque Zombie Baby clip from Braindead/Dead Alive:



*And yes, I am the first to admit that the thought of an actual zombie baby is rather dark and not exactly a laugh riot (see Grace) but when used in an obviously absurdist way, it's really very funny.

And this week in Zombie Music, an old friend (rediscovered via Facebook), posted this lovely little video of Nellie McKay's "Zombie" on my wall. How could I not share?



Fun!

Also at Caliban's Revenge, I posted about the movies I most want to see in the next three months. So this week in Zombie Films, I thought I'd talk about Zombie Movies I most want to see in the coming year. Of course, topping the list is George A. Romero's Survival of the Dead. IMDb lists its U.S. release date as November, 2009, but I'll be damned if I know a single person who has seen it. Hopefully, a wide release will actually play theaters, rather than go straight to DVD as Romero's Diary of the Dead did.



And then there's the Spanish horror sequel [Rec2]. I don't speak a word of Spanish, but if you never saw the original (or it's inferior, but still effective American remake Quarantine), you'll have no trouble figuring out what's happening in this film which picks up immediately after the original's end. Is it just me, or does it have an Aliens feel about it? It doesn't matter, I still want to see it.



I wish I could report on more, but most of the stuff listed on the various movie sites have no video available yet. And most of the video available on YouTube is for rather less-than-stellar fare like this:



Not exactly the kind of thing that makes you wanna run out to see that movie on opening weekend (or even it's on-line premiere). And I'm so sorry to do this to you, but because it is now stuck in my head, so why shouldn't it be stuck in yours? -- all I can hear in my head is: "Won't you take me to... Zombie Town?" Even Disco never really dies... sigh.

Finally, in Personal Zombie Film News, Uncle Prospero received a pretty exciting phone call last month from a rather well-known production company regarding his screenplay Army of the Dead. They are pitching it for certain genre cable network movie-of-the-week. And while I will admit that said basic cable channel's movies aren't always the highest quality, as long as I get paid, I don't care. Of course, you will the first to know as soon as I do. And I have also started a new Zombie screenplay, which I think adds an unusual, though familiar element to the genre. As soon as I have a linkable version, I'll be sure to post it.

More shambling, soon.
Prospero

No comments:

Post a Comment